1.13.2010

Inspiration Icons: Audrey Hepburn

Since I am so often inspired by others, I've decided to start a new series of posts called "Inspiration Icons." My goal is to focus on someone whose style, creativity, achievements, generosity or all-around-amazingness has inspired me (and perhaps some of you) in some way. It could be anyone from a fellow blogger, a designer, a well-known actress or perhaps a new friend. You just never know!

First up...my all-time favorite actress, activist and all-around style-goddess: Audrey Hepburn.








The first photo I chose, of course show her in character as Holly Golightly from the classic film, Breakfast at Tiffany's. No matter how many times I watch this favorite film, (based on Truman Capote's book, a must-read) I am always enchanted by the costumes, the story, the scenes of NYC and of course, by Hepburn herself.

I love how she captured the true spirit of a young girl trying to make her way and find her place in NYC. I love the opening scene, captured here, as she stops by the windows at Tiffany's after a late night out, obviously feeling unfulfilled and looking for an escape, dreaming of her future.






My first job out of college was only blocks away from this very spot on fifth avenue in NYC. I would often take a walk to Tiffany, browse at the windows and think of this scene from the movie and dreaming of my own future.

What an amazing actress she was and quite the style visionary as well. Her amazing relationship with Hubert de Givenchy brought us some of the most gorgeous dresses and gowns to ever be filmed. This beautiful dress she wore in the film Sabrina (another must-see) simply takes your breath away. It seems so fresh and relevant today, just as it did back in 1954.




It actually reminds me a bit of this gorgeous gown that actress Olivia Wilde recently wore on the red carpet of the People's Choice Awards. This Monique Lhuillier dress is STUNNING and feels just like something Audrey would have chosen for herself...perhaps for one of her younger characters such as Sabrina. I'm in love with this gown!




Of course, there was more to her than her choice in dress, style and talent as an actress. She was also a humanitarian. In 1988 she was appointed as UNICEF's International Goodwill Ambassador, working with needy children in Ethiopia and later around the world.

Audrey brought the world a sophisticated, glamorous yet playful style that is classic through and through. Even today's fashion and design trends point back to that glamorous time. If I were to design a room today based on her classic style, it would look something like this:



Holly's Room






If you haven't already seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina or really any other of Audrey Hebpurn's movies, you simply must, you'll definitely be inspired by this true icon.



No comments: