6.17.2011

ReadyMade Magazine Folds...

I was so sad to read of the news yesterday that ReadyMade magazine would be folding. When I was working at Parents in the early 2000s, we were purchased by Meredith and it was exciting to be part of a company that included a cool roster of mags such as ReadyMade and Better Homes & Gardens. I remember our art department going crazy for this cool, hip DIY magazine. As for me, as the crafty lifestyle editor, ReadyMade really opened my eyes to new projects. I've since followed the staff on their journey and while I was not a subscriber, I was a fan.

I've been watching one great shelter/lifestyle mag after another fold ever since the beloved House & Garden did in 2007. Since then, I've seen so many including Cookie, Blueprint, Metropolitan Home and two of my favorites: Country Home and Domino vanish.

Of course included in this roster was the last magazine I worked for...Hearst's Quick & Simple magazine. That was a heartbreaking time. I had just arrived a year earlier and poof! We were gone. To add fuel to the fire, we were told our offices would be occupied by some new magazine from the Food Network. Three years later, I suppose Hearst made a good business decision as it is extremely popular, but really, there was certainly room for our well-designed women's lifestyle weekly. Hm, I guess I am still very sad and why not...it changed the course of my entire career.

Sadly, I am not excited to visit the magazine section at the bookstore any longer. While I still enjoy a handful of titles (Martha Stewart Living, House Beautiful and Country Living top my list), I find the others are just not quite fulfilling my needs when it comes to the home/shelter/craft category.

I suppose that's why I, like so many have turned so voraciously to the blogosphere. I crave the content and the daily reading. Without it, I'd be lost and I'm so grateful to be a part of it!

So here's to ReadyMade, its staff (best wishes!) and all of the other pubs, staff members and readers who have had to say goodbye to their favorite titles.

To end on a bright note, I thought I'd share with you today some of my favorite design blogs. How about you? What are some of your favorite design blogs? List them in the comments section!

Decor 8
Coco + Kelley
DesignSponge
Sweet Paul
Little Green Notebook
La Dolce Vita
Shelterrific

No comments: