6.11.2009

Chrysanthemum Love

I recently had a lovely lesson on Japanese culture. The more I listened, the more I realized how much of it has inspired me in so many ways.

I was most excited to learn that the Chrysanthemum is an official flower of Japan. The Japanese even have a day named in its honor...September 9 is Chrysanthemum Day....who knew?!

Photo via Brides.com

I am always drawn to this "official flower" of Japan. The big, billowy variety, such as spider mums (above) are my favorites. I love them in shades of white, bright green and hot pink. Plus, they're great to decorate with. A few large stems make a big impact in a vase for a small amount of money. Look for them at your local florist.

Photo via Target.com

I also adore the shape of chrysanthemums in fabric and wallpaper too, like this gorgeous gold print from Graham and Brown available at Target....



...and how pretty would this illustration be framed and hung in a bedroom or a home office? It is an image from the New International Encyclopedia, which was only printed in the 1900s. I may have to hunt down a reproduction.

How about you, what is your favorite flower?

1 comment:

loribell said...

Pictures are beautiful and very inspiring